About Colleen M. Breems
When it is all on the line, having a skilled and passionate advocate in your corner is essential. Colleen M. Breems is that advocate. With a dedication to matrimonial and family law since the very beginning of her legal career, Ms. Breems is sharply and tenaciously focused to deliver results to the client in crisis.
With experience in all types of matrimonial and family law matters, she skillfully guides and counsels her clients with true compassion and understanding.
Colleen M. Breems has focused her legal career in matrimonial and family law since its inception. With a devotion to serving individuals in family transition, it is her calling to provide zealous advocacy for her clients, whether it is through skilled and commanding litigation in the courtroom, or in forming practical and creative solutions tailored to meet a family’s individual needs at the settlement table.
Ms. Breems’ practice includes dissolution of marriage and parentage proceedings involving the issues of parental responsibility, support, parenting time, property division, post-decree matters, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, and orders of protection related to civil litigation. Ms. Breems also has experience in adoption and minor guardianship matters.
Ms. Breems strives to ensure the client feels seen and heard through every step in a case. Ms. Breems understands that there is no “one size fits all” approach to meet a client’s needs, and she therefore provides experienced and creative solutions to meet the unique and individual needs of the client. A dedication to basing her representation in empathy, compassion, encouragement, and empowerment sets her apart.
In addition to serving her adult clients, Ms. Breems also passionately represents children and is frequently appointed by Judges in Cook County to serve as a Child’s Representative or Guardian ad Litem in matrimonial and family law cases. Ms. Breems is also a trained mediator and parent coordinator.
Further, Ms. Breems is
dedicated to giving back to the community. She devotes numerous hours each year
to her pro bono practice, serving as an active volunteer with Chicago Volunteer
Legal Services, providing free-of-charge Guardian ad Litem and Child Representation
legal work in Cook County. In addition, she serves as Co-Vice President for the
Advocacy Council of the Junior League of Chicago, a 501(c)(3) dedicated to
serving the local community.
J.D., Certificate in Family Law, DePaul University College of Law, 2014
B.S., cum laude, Human Development and Family Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2011
- Illinois, 2014
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2018
- Collaborative Law Training, Roadmaps for Resolution Collaborative Law Training, 2024
- Mediation Skills Training Certificate, Northwestern University School of Professional Studies, 2021
- Parent Coordination Training, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, 2021
- Collaborative Divorce Illinois, 2024 – Present
- Chicago Bar Association, Co-Chair, Young Lawyers Section: Family Law Committee, 2019 – Present
- Junior League of Chicago, Co-Vice President, Advocacy Council, 2017 – Present
- DePaul University College of Law, Dean’s Advisory Council, 2023 – 2026
- DePaul University Family Law Center Advisory Board, Board Member
Women’s Bar Association of Illinois, Member
Illinois State Bar Association, Member
Association of Family
and Conciliation Courts, Illinois Chapter, Member
- DePaul University Family Law Center: The 2015 Illinois Parentage Act, September 20, 2016
- DePaul University Family Law Center: The 2015 Parentage Act, September 26, 2018
- Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section: Family Law Committee: CLE Guest Lecturer, February 6, 2019
- Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section: Estate Planning Committee: CLE Guest Lecturer, April 2, 2019
- DePaul University College of Law Law Practice Management class: Guest Lecturer, February 28, 2019
- DePaul University College of Law Law Practice Management class: Guest Lecturer, September 17, 2019
- DePaul University Family Law Center: The 2015 Parentage Act, September 27, 2019
- SIL Networking group: Orders of Protection, May 7, 2020
- DePaul University College of Law Law Practice Management class: Guest Lecturer, September 15, 2020
- DePaul University Family Law Center: The 2015 Parentage Act, October 21, 2020
- Lexvid: How to Establish a Parentage Case, January 11, 2021
- Lexvid: Law Practice Management and Growing your Book of Business, January 11, 2021
- Union League Club of Chicago Women’s Group: Before “I Do,” May 12, 2022
- Quimbee: Child-Related Considerations in Family Law, October 3, 2022
- Quimbee: Networking for Lawyers: Building your Book of Business Ethically, January 16, 2023
- Interviewed for The Cut, “All My Divorced Friends are Sharing Custody of their Pets” by Ines Bellina, 2023
Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers Illinois Rising Star for 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Best Lawyers One to Watch in America, 2023-2024
The American Registry Top Attorneys in Illinois, 2023
Leading Lawyers Emerging Lawyer for 2021, 2022
Chicago Bar Association David C. Hilliard Award for Outstanding Committee Service, 2022
Wonderful Experience! Colleen is THE BEST in the business!
Colleen is by far the most detailed, precise, thoughtful, and committed lawyer I have ever worked with. Her ability to navigate difficult and complex situation in a flawless manner is impressive. My case went on for about a year and she was there every step of the way. Her communication skills are absolutely fantastic–she uses proactive communication, which helped me always feel informed . Her ability to toggle between empathy and objectivity is second to none; both skills are a requirement in this line of work, and she takes the cake! She is by far the best in the business and I would recommend her to anyone and everyone time and time again! Thank you for everything you do, Colleen!
Exceptional Professionalism and Preparation
I hired Colleen Breems to represent me in a very challenging
personal matter earlier this year and I was very satisfied. Ms. Breems was
incredibly professional and thorough. I would definitely recommend her.
Thorough, detail-oriented and kind.
Colleen represented me well in front of the judge and on
paper. She was always quick to respond to me whenever I needed something and
communicated well. Colleen was thorough, detail-oriented and kind.
I have had the pleasure of working with Colleen over the
past three years through a difficult case. She has proven to be professional,
extremely detail oriented, always listened to me and understood my situation
and what I was asking for. Colleen always wants to help and truly cares for her
clients. I would highly recommend Colleen for your family court matters. Thank
you Colleen for all of your efforts in my case!
Colleen is a fantastic attorney. She quickly got her head
around my situation with great compassion and understanding. She was able to
advise me on the court system and what to expect. At every court date she came
fully prepared and engaged and went step by step through the whole process with
me. Colleen is an honest, highly skilled attorney, goal minded and always put
my needs first. Colleen did a fabulous job in and out of the courtroom.
I was stuck in a case that had already taken nearly 2 years.
My previous attorney had personal family issues and needed to be excused from
It was an extraordinarily difficult case due to mental
health issues involving family members. A friend recommended Collen Breems to
me. Colleen, Annette and the Lavelle Law team brought my case to a close
effectively in less than 2 months.
I wish that I hired Colleen from the beginning of me
case. I would recommend both Colleen Breems and Annette Corrigan for
anyone needing family law services.”
Colleen Breems was absolutely wonderful! She kept me informed every step of the way and made sure she was available anytime I needed her. Not many attorneys give out their cell numbers. I would recommend her to anyone I know.
I cannot thank Colleen Breems enough for her hard work and dedication while being the Child Representative on my case. She kept my daughter’s best interest first and my daughter felt heard and supported throughout the case. She has been compassionate, fair, and unbiased throughout the duration of my case.
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness
I recently worked with Colleen Breems and couldn’t recommend
her enough. She was always very quick to respond, kept me very informed of what
was going on and was always extremely thoughtful throughout the entire process.
She walked me through every situation, gave me thorough explanations of options
and made recommendations based on what she knew was important to me. Going
through a divorce, it is important to have trust in the attorney representing
you. That trust was not misplaced with Colleen and I’m very happy I had her on
Highly receptive to inquiries. Rapid responses. Excellent advice. Extremely
professional and helpful.
First: Divorcement of Marriage
Colleen Hurley/ Breems work was exceptional and above the
status quote. She was always ahead of the procrastinating opposing counsel.
Even with the interference of COVID-19, that didn’t stop Colleen either. In all
I am glad Colleen handle my case.
Second: For the P.O.A.
Ryan Gardner, who I was referred by Colleen, was very
understanding. Ryan work was excellent and extremely fast. Plus, all of my
requests within the P.O.A. were meet with the highest regards.
To Colleen and Ryan; I Thank you 🙏
I have had the great pleasure of knowing and working with Colleen Hurley. She is incredibly professional, empathetic and responsive. I highly recommend her!